Why a Configuration Tool?
The setup requirements of any Warehouse Management System (WMS) can be extensive. The database structure of Manhattan’s WMOS product is on the high end in terms of complexity. The system’s basic logic uses a combination of item, location, quantity, unit of measure, and order information to determine where to stock, where to pick, and in what sequence to perform these operations. As many as 2000 tables need to be populated within each system environment, and most WMS users maintain multiple environments including environments for Development, QA, Training and Production. Growing companies experience additional frustration when they attempt to bring new facilities online and must manually configure their new systems despite nominal variations between their existing and new environments.
When the team at Veridian found that there was no easy way to quickly copy portions of configuration between environments and facilities, and no simple method to roll updates from development into testing and production, we set out to change that. We did so by developing a user-friendly configuration tool, ConfigBuilder, which manages all the complexities within the WMOS database and ensures data integrity and synchronization across multiple environments and multiple facilities.
From its inception, ConfigBuilder was designed to solve many of the common problems companies face in trying to manage multiple environments and multiple facilities. With its easy to use graphical interface, users can create, modify, and append entire components of the WMOS database in minutes and quickly copy portions of configuration between facilities.
- DYNAMIC: Enables entire components of a database to be copied from one environment to another in seconds
- CONFIGURABLE: Allows you to determine which portions of configuration should (or should not) be moved when moving configuration files
- ACCURATE: Ensures configuration variations will not cause varying test results
- EFFICIENT: Saves hundreds of hours of configuration time required for each new site
- VALIDATION-DRIVEN: Runs systemic validations against proposed changes to ensure data integrity
- BACKUP-FRIENDLY: Restores whole system or specific files to a prior state
- TRACEABLE: Tracks who makes a configuration change, when and how
How It Works
At the core of ConfigBuilder is an engine.
- The engine manages and maintains all complexities and logical connections established within the WMOS database.
- The engine enables you to keep multiple environments in sync by ensuring once a change has been tested, it can be automatically rolled out into additional environments with the simple click of a button.
- The engine also simplifies setting up facilities by enabling you to export and import data and functionality from one environment to another.
- ConfigBuilder frees you to execute decisions without being concerned about broken database connections that can cause severe problems to your applications and operating environments.
With ConfigBuilder you can
- Create a new facility with a unique facility ID and alias
- Model configuration from one site to another
- Refresh a training environment to a golden state
- Copy system codes, transaction parameters, user profiles and other components from one environment to another
- Export a set of related tables to Excel so they can be edited
- Import a set of related tables from Excel
- Create alerts when particular tables become out of sync with one another
- Copy configuration from Production to Training, Training to QA, and QA to Development in minutes